Wednesday 20 June 2018

Camp Hearties 2018 Week 2

Week 2- HV Crossovers
Judged by: Ben Rosenbaum
Guest Judge: Pascale Hutton

Below are the tasks that the Teams had to choose from. It was a fun and twisted week here at Camp!


Ben's Brownie Points
Creativity- Coal Valley Cuties
Originality- Toasty Marshmallow Squad
Presentation- You Give Love A Plaid Name
Humor- Koala-ty Watermelon Cookies

Pascale's S'more Points
Creativity- Coal Valley Cuties
Originality- Team PhotoBaumers
Presentation- You Give Love A Plaid Name
Humor- Lumber Ladies


I want to start by thanking everyone for their support, loving words, and prayers for my family. It's hard when someone who was cut from the same cloth becomes threadbare. Hopefully with good care and rest, they will be on the mend soon!
Week 2 was a crazy ride, but ended on a smooth note. The teams were great with their TV Crossovers! I'm blown away every week by their creativity. So, without further ado, let me pass it over to our Judge, Ben Rosenbaum. Our guest judge this week is Pascale Hutton, her comments will be in purple.



Ben: It was very tough this week giving out the points, because everybody’s work was so creative, original, funny, and nicely presented! Good job to all the teams, and thank you for making these so entertaining to look at!


You Give Love A Plaid Name
Ben: Glen Plaid is back! And makes for an excellent guide: it all flows so nicely! I’m so impressed by how you tied it all together so well. After reading about Elizabeth’s altered timeline where she becomes a cook, Yost’s Yak Sak makes a very compelling case for Shark investment! And it was patently hilarious. Given all the “yaking” going on in this crossover I’m glad Glen could find some relief in aisle 4! Very fortunate! p.s. I’m still singing your team name in my head.
Pascale: so cleanly laid out. Very easy to spot the different challenges.

Sergeant's Riders
Ben: Your attempt to curry favor with me using a Hickam/Bachelor mashup for your poster is transparent… and totally working! I love it! Where did you find all the right dolls? Spooky stories are so much spookier when kids are involved! Rosaleen and the ghosts of the miners? Super spooky. That dessert pizza is really doing for me, especially if we deconstruct it and just eat the ingredients. I love your model of the Timeless Lifeboat! It’s tin-foil on a doggy chew toy or something? Very nice. My favorite line in the story was “The proposal is untouchable, so it goes on as we all know,” because even time travel better not mess with a favorite Hearties moment!

The WagonErs
Ben: The Wagoners I’m so spooked by the Lone Miner! And even more spooked by the Last Shift! Gotta say Hope Valley and WCTH as stuffed animals is very cute, I hope we aren’t all replaced in Season 6! It looks like Theo actually managed to Chopped his way to a pretty classic picnic before those pesky mice got involved. Is there anything Duct tape can’t do?! Seeing The peeking over his mouse trap is VERY funny.

Lumber Ladies
Ben: I can’t get enough of those log/wood/lumber puns throughout! Your Shark tank is very clever and funny, but I’m concerned that this could catch on as a fad diet for people too! Consider a warning label that it is not to be used on non-logs? Your Chopped sounds like lobster nachos with a very clever presentation and I am into that! I’d like to thank you, Lumber Ladies, for making Hickam your first choice for HV assistance! That Timeless mashup is guaranteed to work now! I’m glad Yost made it in there as a sponsor of the pickled egg/log rolling contest! That sounds pretty tough!
Pascale: Lego Mini Fig of Lee Coulter, complete with plaid pants was great!

Team PhotoBaumers
Ben:First things first: I was unaware that all this time I could have been calling brussels sprouts “petite cabbage.” That makes them much cuter. Lee’s Tinder account is hilarious! I guess he’s not lying if his pants are 30 years old! That’s a very elaborate Shark Tank proposal, I like that the chickens are running the whole operation, pickling eggs, exercising the chickens, and it all powers a victrola as well, what a triple threat! Lots of great specifics in your Urban Legend, I like all the bits with the kids. Hickam IS always glad you came, CHEERS to you!
Pascale: loved your name!!! And the Cheers spoof was very funny!

Hope Valley Fans
Ben: Wow, a whole soap opera mystery involving all of the challenges! I was wondering why there were so many cliff-hangers built into your responses… so I kept on reading! Poor Ned Yost was just trying to sell some eggs and got himself kidnapped?! By Mr. Jenkins?!?!?! Rip/Sherriff are now the law in town AND the guardian for Elizabeth’s babies?! Katie managed to pull off an actually appetizing chopped chicken noodle bowl with Honeybunny’s crazy shopping?!?! All so very dramatic. I’ll be tuning in next week.

Toasty Marshmallow Squad
Ben: Wow! Your Toasty mascot found love in Aisle 4, I didn’t see that coming! I’m very impressed by your MacGyver solution, that might double as a Yost Shark Tank invention too because I want to invest! But your “Spur of the moment” “Gallop-through dining” is too good so I’m glad we all got to see that too! Help me out here, because I’m not sure about Bill’s secret weapon blackened s’mores double shot—is it delicious or horrendous?! I need to know. Beautiful job with your poster of an Outlander/WCTH mashup! Somebody is pretty good with their watercolors!

Hickam's Secret Service
Ben: I’m glad to see Rip Bear is staying stealthy while indulging her sweet tooth! I don’t know if I’m more spooked or sad about the ghost horse, but I’m sure an encounter with it would leave me crying either way. I appreciate your PETA friendly approach to keeping the raccoons away! It also sounds like the elements of your “Raccoons be gone” reads exactly the same as the ingredient list for Bill’s chili! I like your outside-the-box take on a SURVIVOR cross-over, and just about anything is made better with a little BeyoncĂ© in the mix. Your mashup poster will make a lot of #Hearties, #Chessies, and #Hallmarkies happy. Keeping it in the family! I also like that you snuck your tagline on there in the bottom right corner.

Coal Valley Cuties
Ben: Wow, YASSS When FRIENDS call the Heart! Very funny mashup put in the perfect context! Shepherd’s Taco Trifle TROUBLE! That Timeless crossover contains a secret dream I had for Hickam—that he would find his confidence as an actor (can’t imagine why)! Get out of my head, CV Cuties! I was really hoping for a paper clip or something in the MacGyver section and I got it! Nice work including the bobby pin and making a very practical solution! LOL Ned Yost’s Hair Tonic, yes I’ll Shark your Whale Oil. The before and after pictures and the warning to avoid flames cracked me up!
Pascale:The 'Friends' taco/Shepherd's pie trifle was a really creative mash-up.

Koala-ty Watermelon Cookies
Ben: Well hello Opal the Koala bear! Look at you stepping out in your little watermelon outfit! I couldn’t quite make out all the letters on the sign for aisle 4, so please tell me I’m right in thinking that “Cordial” is the first category of foods listed there! That’s delightful. I can’t tell you what a big fan I am of Ned’s Eggs. I’ll be your Shark! I think it would be an egg-cellent investment (please don’t sue me for using your trademark). I hate to admit how much I appreciate the emoji breakdowns of the timeless crossover (because I think that confirms my status as a millennial), but I really do like them. You are all legends (of tomorrow) in my book!

All the teams did a great job this week! Below are the scores for weeks 1 & 2. The extra point teams are allowed to earn from week 1 will be added in a separate blog that will showcase some of the extra work they did the first week! Looks like Love is also giving Plaid first place, but all the teams are close behind! Looks like a good race going into week 3! 



See you on Sunday for more CampHearties fun!

Camp Director,
Lee's Plaid Pants




No comments:

Post a Comment